There is a continuous debate among companies about whether or not to use static or Content Management System (CMS) for managing their site. To decide the best possible solution to manage your website it is necessary that you understand both the types and their pros and cons.
What is a Static Website?
Static or fixed websites are brochure type sites where the content need not change, and the number of pages is on the lower side. If you want, you can make specific updates to the website, but you would need assistance from a web developer or someone who has experience of using HTML or FTP. Some of the popular static website generators are Jekyll, Hexo, Hugo, Octopress, Pelican, and many others.
Advantages of Static Website:
Let us understand the benefits of having a static site.
- It has a low cost of development and the time taken to build a static site is lower when compared to other methods.
- Web hosting methods are simple. Generally, in the case of static websites, there is no need for a database to store the contents. It can be hosted in the local cable company that gives around five megabytes of space to users.
- For static websites, it is possible to build it with cost-effective software packages. Even someone who does not have enough HTML knowledge can create a static website, but it is always better to take professional service.
Along with the advantages, a static website also has specific problems. It is essential to know the difficulties to decide between the two.
- To update a static website is daunting. A disruption in the layout becomes possible even because of a minor mistake in the code.
- Business owners will have to pay a higher amount to developers even for a small change
- Search Engine Optimization will not work favorably for static sites when compared to websites where the content is updated regularly.
A CMS is a dynamic website which is scalable in its content and most often in its features. The user can easily update the website as per their requirement without having to break the layout of the site because it is under the tight control of the CMS. It is possible to make easy and frequent updates to blogs, photo galleries, and web pages. Drupal is a perfect example of a complete CMS that is scalable, adaptive, and feature-rich. Besides, Drupal some of the other models of CMS tools include Joomla, Magento, Squarespace and others.
Advantages of CMS:
- There is complete control over the content of the site without any knowledge of HTML, CSS or any other web languages. The necessary changes can be completed with ease.
- Depending on the kind of CMS that is chosen, there is a wide variety of content types that you can choose from like text, photo, audio or video.
- CMS sites are SEO friendly because websites that update content are preferred by search engines and helps the website rank higher in search engine optimisation, which in turn is a critical competitive factor for the growth of a business.
Just like the advantages to know about the disadvantages is imperative. As far as CMS is concerned, some of its cons are the following:
- A higher cost of development. It takes more time to develop a database-driven website and knowledge of a particular CMS. Hence, it requires more investment
- CMS system has a tight learning curve. To operate a CMS driven site, the user must learn the way it is structured so that you can control its menus and the naming categories
- Customers with a slower bandwidth might find the operation of a CMS driven website difficult as it contains dynamic content.
Get Started Now!
As a budding business owner, you might feel that learning about the pros and cons of both the static web generating tools and CMS is enough, and you can decide the best option for your business. But, that is not the reality! Instead, choosing an appropriate tool largely depends on the type of business that you have. The best way to determine the best tool is to seek advice from experts. So, if you would like to know which is best Static or CMS, you can get in touch with us at Vajra, and our experts can give you a customised solution based on your business requirements. Choose your website that stands out and soon you will start experiencing an enhanced ROI. To be precise, a little investment from your side during the initial days can take you a long way.